Thursday, November 24, 2016

The Sad Tale of Morgan and Her Brother Art

[E-mail transcript follows]:

To: morgan.campos@[REDACTED]
From: art_campos86@[REDACTED]
Subject: You Never Call

Hey Sis,

It's been a few months since you called. Not even an e-mail. The last we heard, you were transferred to Phoenix after an IA review. You even missed calling on little Artie's birthday. We did get your card, but it was a week late.

Seriously, what happened? In 20 years IA never reviewed you. Did a guy finally melt the ice queen's heart? Did you get caught with your pants down? Seriously, was it Bill? Were you two playing hanky-panky when he got hit? You shouldn't blame yourself. I know you wouldn't get caught embezzling. Pretty sure you wouldn't get caught with drugs. If it had been some kind of use of force problem, pretty sure I would have seen a cell phone video of it on the Internet! LOL.

We all miss you. Artie wants to hear from his favorite aunt. Why don't you give a call on Thanksgiving?

Your brother,

Art

To: art_campos86@[REDACTED]
From: morgan.campos@[REDACTED]
Subject: Re: You Never Call

Art,

Bill was my partner for years. You didn't see the look on his kid's face when they put him in the ground. He was my friend, Art. So don't you dare say anything like that about him. You got it, little brother?

Sorry about the card being late. Between the move and everything else, it got lost in the shuffle. I'm glad it got there okay. Hopefully Artie liked it. I know how much he likes dinosaurs.I still have that picture you and Regina took of him as a T-Rex on Halloween. He's a good kid.

I'll try my best to call, but no promises. Work's been insane lately; the brass have me babysitting some pilot. Can't really go into more detail than that. You know how it is; gotta keep the witness's identity protected, even from family and friends. If I can't call, tell Artie that Auntie Morgan hopes he eats a slice of pie for her, too.

And Art... if you get the chance, call Dad. It can't be easy for him to be away from us at this time of year. God knows it's been hard on me, too.

Thinking of you,
Morgan

(Thanks to Kyla Cox for writing half this post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment